chris clarke volume 2, 2006, #018
with no real desire to be weird, chris never really understood why people would place this description upon his head. however, being born on a tiny island helped him to accept this and he has now fully flourished into a complete weirdo. toot toot! ^_^.
1. how would you explain 'art' - in 19 words or less? is art masterpieces of yesteryear? or the drawings of a trip to brighton by your nine year old brother?
2. what is the first work of art you ever loved? i don't know umm, i would say calvin and hobbes … is that a work of art? i would say so.
3. how important is theory to your art? i guess at some point i would love people to understand my work, or interpret something that i did not see, but when i draw i just stop thinking and the drawings just pour out. so i do think theory is important, but only for certain types of work.
4. describe your ideal art workspace. oooh, i would have a big room in a loft with loads of skylights. in the middle would be a large table, where i could put all my computer things, paper, pens and whatnot.
5. describe your current art workspace. at the moment i am sitting in my living room which is quite dark and dirty. we do have nice large windows but the sun is rarely out at any time of the year. in this room i have a medium sized table which wobbles.
6. if you could be placed in suspended animation and safely reanimated at some time in the future with the sole purpose being to see how history treated you / your art, would you do it?
7. who are some of your favourite artists (contemporary or canonical)? i like spike jonze, bill watterson, wes anderson, derek hodgson, oooh … and james paterson, joshua davis, and … oooh too many to list, probably many i will wish i had … the people i have listed are great. i look at these people and think, "i wish i had thought of that …"
8. tell us about a gallery (online or physical space) that you think rocks, and why you think it rocks. there was a place along the road that you could not go inside, you just looked through the window to see all the new pieces. i do remember it once having a piece that had a toppled ladder with a pair of child's legs in school uniform hanging from a hole in the ceiling. i laughed so hard, it was great, it rocked. that place is shut now … bum.
9. would you choose the baked bean jaffle or the caramelised pumpkin and red onion tart with crispy radicchio and hazelnut salad with apple vinaigrette? baked bean jaffle. why? because i am a food monster and will eat anything. the bean jaffle sounds simple plus i love beans. after i am finished my treat, could i possibly have the other one too?
10. finish this sentence: "the work of art can / cannot be considered separately to the artist because ________." the work of art cannot be considered separately to the artist because the artist is part of the process. you are the art, and the art is you, and you is you. ^_^
check out more of chris' work at: www.mr-mr.org
© copyright 2005-2007 papertiger media | brisbane, australia | chiang mai, thailand